Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Artist Feature: Kimia Ferdowsi Kline

We find such beauty and inspiration in the paintings of Iranian-American painter, filmmaker, and Liz's college roommate Kimia Ferdowsi Kline, and we are thrilled to share a sampling of her work and life with you!  Kimia originally hails from Nashville, TN. An MFA graduate from the San Francisco Art Institute and currently living in NYC, she has exhibited both within the US and internationally since 2003. Not only that, but she is absolutely hilarious and always impeccably dressed. Enjoy a taste of her stunning work as well as our interview with her below.  












C & P: Where do you find inspiration? 

Kimia: Recently I've been drawing a lot of inspiration from gardens and their relationship to women. I spent a year painting in India and was lucky to visit many famous gardens throughout the country. I think the theme of the garden and its universal symbolism is one I will be working with for some time to come.

C & P: How long do your paintings take to finish? 

Kimia: Unfortunately there's no consistency in the time they take to finish. Sometimes I'll sit down and within an hour a painting will be finished. Other times it will be a long arduous process over many months.

C & P: What does a typical day look like for you? 

Kimia:  During a typical day, I'll wake up, pack my lunch, and head to my studio in Brooklyn where I'll paint for about 5-7 hours. I try to be consistent with how much time I spend there each day. If I'm not painting, then I'm usually working on the administrative side of being an artist. This includes photographing my work for my website and other social media outlets, researching and applying to grants and paintings residencies, or working on portrait commissions for collectors. 

And while we're at it, Kimia's engagement photos with her now husband, Kenny, are some of the most gorgeous we've ever seen.  Taken by photographer Jose Villa in Napa, we just had to share them too!









For more information on Kimia or to see more of her work, visit her website at http://www.kimiakline.com.


2 comments:

  1. Fun interview. Her engagement picture on the boat is screaming to be painted. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ladies so much! The post is wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make our day; thank you for taking the time to write us!